Sunday, April 27, 2008

Be Excellent

Good, better, best;
Never let it rest
Till your good is better
And your better is best.

I happened to watch BYU TV today Sunday April 27th, 10:00 am broadcast and saw this marvelous talk-BYU-IDAHO Devotional.
I loved it and wanted to share. I have been posting on this blog different things I am working on, sewing, decorating with and things that INSPIRE me. This talk sort of covers all of these ideals and really encouraged me to pursue my dreams and set goals, work hard and have faith in my self and in God.
It was given by Margaret S. Wheelwright

Be Excellent (click for a copy of the transcript)
Brigham Young University–Idaho
Devotional January 22, 2008

A favorite quote

Elder Dallin H. Oaks has counseled, “Your faith will sustain you and give added meaning and increased accomplishment to your secular studies if you will live to deserve the blessings of the Lord.”

I needed that reminder! So often as life goes along we loose that meaning because our focus was not one of Faith.

Here is another wonder excerpt and quote:

"Two secrets to hard work are to pay attention to the details and to form good habits. General Colin Powell recognized this when he said, “If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” And Aristotle could see thousands of years ago that “we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

By combining these three keys to excellence, living in faith and righteousness, setting goals to solidify our will or “sense of mission,” and sacrificing through hard work and attention to detail to reach those goals, we will be able to eventually succeed in whatever we are pursuing"

President Hinckley has said:“My plea is that we constantly take the position that every one of us can do better than we are doing now. We are in a constant search for excellence. That search must be continuous and never-ending. It must be consuming and unrelenting. Happily, such a lofty and crucial pursuit does not require genius. ‘What can I do better today so that the Lord can bless me?’ We must not sell ourselves short. We must make a little extra effort. We would be wise to kneel before our God in supplication. He will help us. He will bless us. He will comfort and sustain us. He will help us do more, and be more, than we can ever accomplish or become on our own.

Yea!!! Now to roll up my sleeves and get to work!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails