Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Cabbage Burgers

Recipe for yummy burgers with cabbage, sometimes called Kraut burgers or Runza Burgers.
I loved these as a kid and I still love them.


First you put some oil in a skillet
Saute a 1/2 of an Onion that you have minced
Then brown 1 lb. ground beef (I use 1 can of Ground beef 14 oz.)
Shred a head of cabbage (I use my Kitchen Aid attachment)
-I use over half of that or split it for 2 meals
Add the shredded cabbage to the skillet. It will be a rounded heap but it will cook down!
Salt 1 1/2 tsp Pepper to taste
I add a tsp of Garlic Powder
Then add 1 Cup of Water
cover and steam the cabbage will become clear and wilted down
Let that simmer 10 minutes and 10 minutes uncovered until all the water has evaporated

Start the dough~
2 1/2 tsp of yeast
2 tsp of Sugar
1 Cup of flour
Mixed in a medium bowl

In a microwave safe bowl combine (I use a large pyrex measuring cup)
1/2 Cup of warm water
3/4 Cup of Milk (good place to use your stored powdered milk)
1Tbsp. butter or shortening some times I use olive oil
Heat in microwave for 1 or 2 minutes until the milk is scalded

Pour onto Flour and Yeast mixture
Add 1 Cup of flour with 1 tsp of salt swirled in it.
and combine to form a dough
Add additional flour until it forms a ball.
divide in half until you have 8 equal balls
Roll out a ball with your rolling pin to a 5 inch shape
place a heaping spoonful of hamburger/cabbage mixture in the middle
(I like to divide the mixture in my skillet into 8 pizza type sections so I have enough for each burger and I don't run out or have one that is too full and one that is skimpy!)
fold up the dough edges and pinch shut. Make sure there aren't any holes that will leak the yummy-ness out.
Bake for 20-30min. at 375 degrees
Enjoy with your kids or surprize your friends.
I did and I was asked to supply the recipe!

3 comments:

Annie Carie said...

ooh yummy I'm gonna try these.

D-lyn said...

they are yummy!
I always taste my filling while cooking and sometimes eat too much!LOL just make sure you have enouogh for the actual burger!

Lorajean said...

Liberty's mom makes these and I Love them! I'll for sure have to try them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails